Friday, March 30, 2012

On When I Met Julie

Just got back from the laundromat. Let me tell you something: I'm unfriendly outside of work. Well, not unfriendly, just... not too talkative. I still hold doors for people and stuff, but I avoid eye contact and keep to myself.

But there was this lady. This Midwestern Christian Mom lady. Don't know what that is? A lady of an upper-middle class lifestyle, with a house bigger than necessary, which... is probably actually necessary because she had upwards of four kids. That house is probably mostly beige, really clean and smells like Jesus. Everything is totally put together all the time, always.

Sounds like I'm a bitch and judge everyone? Probably so. And listen, I found out Midwestern Christian Moms can be... super nice! This Julie lady was so incredibly nice!

She's having her house remodeled and can't use her washer/dryer, so she came to my laundromat. She asked, "Do you come here a lot? Is it nice? How many quarters do I need to use on the dryers?" Not in a slumming sort of way, but a genuinely enthusiastic way.

(One quarter on knits, by the way. Two for jeans and towels.)

Her three accompanying kids were super adorable, and I told her so. They were so helpful! Which isn't surprising, because she was seriously one of the nicest strangers I've ever met. Seriously. She has six kids, between the ages of fifteen and Drop The Youngest Off At A Friend's House Cause They'll Be Fussy. She asked if I have any kids.

In the Midwest, it is commonplace for a person only twenty-three to have a kid or two. You should see my Facebook. Absolutely flooded with photos of kids. She said, "I hope the Lord blesses you with a child one day."

Then I felt bad for saying "Oh my God" twice. Thou shall not take the Lord's name in vain.

We folded laundry and chit-chatted, as our folding stations were right across from one another. I caught a glimpse into a life I could have had if I weren't raised agnostic. I don't want kids yet, surely. A house and a husband would come first. But maybe thirty-five or thirty wouldn't be the right age.

Maybe like... Twenty-eight. Or nine.

Hell, I still don't know.

"If you'd have asked me at twenty-three if I wanted six kids, I would have said, 'Heck no!' But we're so greatful for that the Lord has given us." -Julie, Midwestern Christian Mom of Awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment